Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Rich content microblogging

I just learned something new on Twitter!

Using Slideshare, you can embed a full presentation into one tweet.

I have seen pictures and videos embedded, but this is the first time I had seen a slide presentation embedded, and it was from my own tweet. I uploaded a presentation onto Slideshare this morning, and used their Twitter link to share it. When I went to view it on my Twitter feed, I saw that the slide presentation is embedded in the tweet itself.

I find this exciting because so many people say that social media networks like Twitter only allow for snippets of learning or may be damaging to our attention spans. I think this is a legitimate concern, but I have found participating in Professional Learning Networks through these outlets to be quite edifying. I follow links to in-depth articles, I view informative or inspiring videos, and now I see that traditional forms of presentation adapt well to microblogging as well.

There are limitations with Slideshare. For example, only the most traditional forms of image + text do well in that format. I like to use animations and non-traditional layouts for live presentations, and this doesn't translate well for Slideshare. But there is a time and place for quick tidbits of info that your audience may find useful and slides offer a more engaging way to present some material than just blogging.

I plan to keep this in mind as an alternative to some of my blogging. I can start picturing PowerPoint as another blogging and microblogging tool through the use of Slideshare.

No comments:

Post a Comment