Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Take your flipped life balance inventory

I've been looking for ways to better balance my time, space and brain waves as a work from home mom, and I thought I'll just do a venn diagram and sort out where I should separate the professional from the personal.

First, I did a listing brainstorm of my Top 3 interests, spaces, routines, web habits, roles, tech uses and goals: 


Next, I made a venn diagram and placed the listed items along the continuum of personal to professional. And found much more overlap than I expected:


With this much overlap, how was I going to sort out what to manage? It's clear in this diagram that I keep mom and teacher roles separate, as well as laundry time and online classroom time. Great. That's a start. But how to sort out the majority of items that overlap? I decided to consider whether each one was more or less challenging because of the overlap. What overlaps felt positive because of synergy? Which ones felt negative because of difficulty managing?


Voila! This helped. I have quite a bit of positive overlap that I could try to optimize and identified the areas where I need to find management strategies for my time, space and brainwaves.
I'll be focusing on these areas in future posts. 

In the meantime, if this felt like a useful exercise to you. Check it out & do it yourself! I made a one page, neater worksheet than my scribbles. Click to download the .pdf:

fliptmoms all rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment